Your Family Law Superheroes

When Grandparents Seek Legal Avenues To Spend Time With Grandchildren

If your adult child is a competent parent and does not allow you to spend time with your grandchildren, this is likely a topic to work on with a family counselor rather than a lawyer. But, if your adult child is unfit, divorced or deceased and you are seeking a legal path by which to spend regular time with your grandchild(ren), it is worth your while to explore legal options with a family law attorney.

At Law Offices of Aaron C. Smith, we often help grandparents pursue visitation rights with grandchildren. Our attorneys are here to help you find and implement the right solution for your circumstances.

What California Laws Say About Grandparents’ Visitation Rights

California laws allow grandparents to seek visitation rights through family law courts. Such cases may succeed when the court finds that the grandparent and grandchild have an established bond and that visitation with the grandparent is in the best interests of the child. Parental rights typically still apply.

What if your adult child is married to the other parent, but obstacles are in the way of your grandparenting instincts? In special cases, visitation rights for grandparents may be possible in situations such as the following:

  • The parents are separated and/or one or both parents are absent and unavailable.
  • A parent agrees with your petition for visitation rights
  • There is an adoptive stepparent in the picture.

Sometimes our clients discover other ways to spend time with or care for their grandchildren, such as through:

‘Where There Is A Will, There Is A Way’

We commend you for taking the lead in finding the legal solution that will allow you to do what loving grandparents do best: nurture their grandchildren on a regular basis. The fact that you have arrived on this webpage is a good sign that there is most likely a legal solution that will allow you the time you deserve with your grandchild(ren).

Whatever your family situation involves, explore your options with the help of a family law attorney in Vista, California, at the Law Offices of Aaron C. Smith. Call 760-974-8605 or email us.